Saturday, August 12, 2006

 

Catching up...

When it comes to writing, Denise steals the show. But, it's been a while since I have written, and it's time to catch up.

I really enjoyed Denver. It was a great city. Things are so spread out, and the city turns to countryside very quickly. You really lose an appreciation of how big our country is when you live on the East Coast.

Denise is right about the fact that I am getting bored with zoos. The Denver Zoo was beautiful, and it was a gorgeous day to be outside. But, how many times can you look at the same animals? I took a lot of pictures which kept me busy. I wish we had time to go to the science museum and the IMAX film there on Greece. But, we spent so much time at the zoo that the day got away from us.

We also went to Heritage Square in Golden, CO on Wednesday. It was very quaint. They had a few rides and a few shops, with an 1880s Victorian theme. We rode the Alpine slide, which was a first for everyone but me. This is a ride with a track that is laid out on a ski slope, and you control a small car with and accelerator/brake lever. I went full speed all the way down. Anonymous went mostly full speed, but was hesitant about flipping over. Denise and PieLover took it slowly. We ate lunch in a 50s type diner (how is that Victorian?), and played a round of mini-golf. If the PieLover wins, she'll play. So, we have instituted a huge handicap for her. With that, she plays almost as well as the rest of us anyway...Otherwise, she gives up as soon as she misses a couple of shots.

I had always wanted to go to Red Rocks Ampitheater. Too bad we couldn't see a concert there. The venue is spectacular. It's not large, but the views of the mountains and city skyline in the distance are breathtaking. The pictures don't do it justice. Inspired, I listened to U2's "Under a Blood Red Sky" CD while driving to Utah (recorded at Red Rocks).

The long drives, like the one from Denver to Southern Utah, don't bother me at all. I cue up a bunch of NPR podcasts and they help pass the time. I also listen to a lot of music. I enjoy the desolate scenery of the area and was struck by how empty the place is. Yet, people still live here. It's a different life than ours on the crowded East Coast.

When I picked up the rental car yesterday (Friday) in St. George, UT (a 45 minute drive from our RV park, but the nearest place), the Enterprise driver told me that the place has 'really grown' over the past 5 years and there are now 200,000 people in the greater St. George area. St. George itself was a large town crowded around a few main streets. But, there were several malls and shopping seems to be the main attraction. Those people on the outskirts, like in Virgin, UT, have to buy things somewhere, I guess.

Denise and the kids wanted to take a day off from sightseeing yesterday. I like to go-go-go and see as much as possible. They all seem to like to hang out in the RV park and relax. I get kind of bored doing that, so I took on the task of running a lot of errands while I was returning with the rental car. It worked out fine for everyone, and we did play some Frisbee, watch a movie (The Sting, which I hadn't seen since the 1970s, although it is one of my favorites), and cook a nice dinner.

Today, Saturday, we're off to Bryce Canyon, with Zion National Park tomorrow. On Monday, we head out to the Grand Canyon. We're staying in a National Park on Monday and Tuesday nights, so don't expect to hear from us then. We won't have the usual Wifi facilities that we have grown accustomeed to on this trip...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?